1. For all his fame and celebration, William Shakespeare remains a ________ figure with regards to personal history. There are just two primary ________ for information on the Bard: his works, and various legal and ________ documents that have survived from Elizabethan times. Naturally, there are many ________ in this body of information, which tells us little about Shakespeare the man.
famous, places, church, sources, authentic, similarities, gaps, mysterious
2. Genetically modified foods provide no direct benefit to consumers; the food is not ________ better or cheaper. The greater benefit, ________ argue, is that genetic engineering will play a crucial role in feeding the world’s burgeoning population. Opponents disagree, ________ that the world already grows more food per person than ever before — more, even, than we can ________ .
necessarily, noticeably, critics, consume, asserting, acquire, proponents
3. In the last years of the wheat boom, Bennett had become increasingly ________ at how the government seemed to be encouraging an ________ farming binge. He went directly after the Department of Agriculture for ________ people. Farmers on the Great Plains were working against nature, he ________ in speeches.
popular, misleading, offensive, thundered, guiding, frustrated, exploitative
4. In the 250 years of its active evolution, Funerary Violin moved from the formal to the personal. It is clear from the earliest ________ of the form that its role during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries was largely heraldic, to ________ the continuity of the social ________ . The few works that have survived from this period are often ________ unemotional and at times overtly grandiose.
surprisingly, records, amplify, structure, importance, exemplify, accounts
5. Researchers already know that spending long periods of time in a zero-gravity ________ — such as that inside the International Space Station (ISS) — results in loss of bone density and ________ to the body’s muscles. That’s partly why stays aboard the ISS are ________ at six months. And now, a number of NASA astronauts are reporting that their 20/20 vision faded after ________ time in space, with many needing glasses once they returned to Earth.
space, capped, restricted, spending, environment, harmful, damage
1. mysterious, sources, church, gaps,
2. noticeably, proponents, asserting, consume
3. frustrated, exploitative, misleading, thundered
4. accounts, exemplify, structure, surprisingly
5. environment, damage, capped, spending